Wednesday, March 2, 2011

REVOLUTIONARY POET BRIGADE CLEBRATES EGYPT

On Friday I went to a party to celebrate Egypt's freedom from it's dictator. Everything is so up in the air in the middle east it might not be the time to celebrate at all, with rumored up to 2000 killed in Libya. I guess each country and people who frees it's self from oppressive rule can be celebrated. The party was held at Dottie Payne's new gallery space that is is in North Beach, about two blocks into Chinatown. About twenty poets read one poem each. We even had a woman poetess from the Middle East reading. There were some excellent poems. I read one poem.

NECESSARY COMMUNE-ISM,TRIBAL-ISM,
SOCIAL CONSCIOUSNESS FOR AN
OVER POPULATED WORLD

You see it is not about
A political party
It is about survival
A rational way of
Distributing the foods
Of the world
To the most people
So that greed does not
Eat up someone else’s
Fair share of commodities
It is a rational way
Of living together
For the common good
We cannot tolerate
Corporate greed or
Dictators of the world
Profiting off the poor
For their own
Selfish interest
Lining their pockets
With stolen monies
...Yes, they should be
Hunted down
And stripped of their
Power, jailed
Sent into exile
Accounts frozen
Treated as the
Criminals they are
The days of the
Powermongers are over
And their guns
Will rust along side
Their dead bodies
For the meek
Shall inherit the earth
And respect the earth
It’s plants, it’s animal
It’s environment
It’s people
For we the people
Will work side by side
Planting the earth
For the good of all
We will use the earth's
Gas, oil and metals
For the good of all
The animals
Large and small
For the good of all
A necessary reality
Yes, it is about survival
…Linda King - 2/21/11

At the party there was food and wine, a band played and many danced. It was a good night. Dottie was an excellent host. I love her new space where she will be having other events, art shows, etc. I had a great time even though I had been up since early morn and worn out and had to go home and rest. I had been to my Life Sculpture class, (five hours), which takes a lot of energy and then I spent the afternoon in North Beach visiting with other poets at Cafe Trieste, visiting at the Beat Museum with Jerry C. and even danced at The Saloon, before the party. The music was so good it drew me in.
I am still watching CNN to see what is going to happen in Libya and the rest of the middle east. It seems like a very unsettling time. Already the gas is skyrocketing.
I hope Qadhafi will step down without more people being slaughtered. He is an old warlord and crazy as well, so I don't expect it. It's worrisome. One man who worked for him said he had a lot of chemical weapons.
I had a dream where I saw the Statue of Liberty covered with people. It looks like one of those painting that are all people, but you don't know it's people until you look close. As I watched more and more blocks of people popped up slowly covering the Statue of Liberty. I took this to mean that more and more of the people of the world are going to be demanding their liberty. On the ground was a lot of fighting with some evil looking forces, but all the people on the Statue of Liberty were standing way above them, like they were going to be triumphant.

3 comments:

  1. I am very glad to read about a celebration in San Francisco of liberation in Egypt, in any country as a matter of fact. It seems that when one country makes progress, another is inspired to see if they can't fight for a little more equality for themselves with the distribution of food and monies. So I think this was a very good reason to celebrate, and it sounds like the people celebrating had a wonderful time. I think people in San Francisco are celebrating the right way with poetry. That is certainly inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very powerful poem Linda. I liked it. I too am a big fan of CNN. It seems to me their reports are pretty fair to all. They lean to the left some but are always very interesting. Glad you had a great time celebrating Egypt's bid for freedom. Your dream was very positive and I think quite prophetic. I think the middle East still has some rough times ahead, and the United States will not be unaffected. Still if peace and plenty to cover the world one must fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your poem and your remarkable dream.
    It does seem the poor people of the world want freedom. We all need to live free. I just talked to you and thought you should boost Floyd up!

    ReplyDelete